As I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I have been rereading the first six books. This morning, I finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. As I reread, I have seen a few inconsistencies and have a few questions - some may have answers that I've forgotten and some may not. Here are a few:
1- What happened to James Potter's family? Was he an orphan? Why are the Dursleys Harry's only family?
2- Why, in THBP, does Dumbledore have to do a series of spells to allow himself and Harry to fly into Hogwarts when, in TSS, Charlie Weasley's friends are able to fly in and pick up Norbert the dragon from the Astronomy Tower and in TCoS, Harry and Ron fly a car onto Hogwarts' grounds???
3- I know this one is dumb - but it's always bothered me. The Weasleys are MAGIC! Why don't they conjure themselves a bigger, nicer house??? How is there ANY poverty in the magic world?
I'm sure as I continue reading, I'll have more questions come up so I'll periodically bring them up...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
I love that you are into HP. I am into HP in an indecent way. And my answers will probably be dumb:
1. James was an only child, I don't know what happened to his parents though. I think she said something about it on her website, but I believe they are dead. The Dursley's were all Harry had. Which pretty much sucks for Harry.
2. It said at the beginning of the HBP that there was all sorts of extra protection on Hogwarts since what had happened at the Ministry of Magic at the end of OotP with Voldy and his DE's running amok and the new Minister finally admitting that. I don't think that extra protection was there in Harry's 2nd year. Voldemort wasn't at large until later.
3. I know!!! Maybe there isn't a spell to conjure a house? Or money? There are laws against it, I'm sure. But geez, who would they go to to see new houses anyway? Are there wizard realtors?
-Chris
I hear ya girlfriend - I'm pretty freakish about it myself. It has always bugged me a little that we have never heard anything at all about what happened to James' family. Even if he was an only child - did he have no extended family? I'm going to have to pay attention to the getting into Hogwarts thing. I thought somewhere in there that Hermione mentioned reading in 'Hogwarts - A History' that there was protection from people apparating onto castle grounds - I would assume that if they couldn't apparate they couldn't just fly on in either. And even if the Weasley's can't conjure a house - they could certainly improve the one they live in, no?
BTW - on a completely different topic, I meant to write on your blog - I'm sorry things have been so stressed with sick parents. We went through that with my grandma for about 3 years - it was tough and stressful. I'm glad you have your sister close by.
Thanks Liz, they are getting better. That's how it goes when someone gets to be almost 80. :/
Yeah it does seem weird that just anyone (like a flying car, at that) can just fly on into Hogwarts. Hermione mentions the not being able to apparate in about 3984503909 times in the books.
-Chris
Post a Comment