I had this book suggested to me by one of my favorite people on the planet (my aunt) and am still sort of reeling over the ending. Has anyone read this? If so, PLEASE communicate. I know what I believe about the two stories but I'm really interested to hear others' opinions.
In other news, summer is upon us and we are learning a new meaning for busy for our little family. We're in charge of 3 separate family reunions, I have a soccer tournament that is ongoing until my team loses, have to go to girls' camp and Trek with the young women and we have to help my parents and sisters' family move - TWICE. We're also trying to get this basement finished and keep up with the regular demands of life. It's all good though - we're regulary reminded of how lucky/blessed we are and happy to be where we're at in life.
Oh yeah - and we're coming up on the one month count down for The Deathly Hallows...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





19 comments:
WOW you sure are busy. It sounds like it is going to be a fun summer though!!
I didn't notice any mention of Seattle. Is that because you are coming in the fall or am I going to have to cry?:) We just had a 'Family Reunion" themed enrichment last night. If you are looking for some ideas let me know.
We are planning the PAC NW trip in the fall. We are pretty sure we're coming. What were some fun ideas at enrichment? We're definitely looking...
Man, you have a super busy summer. I hope there's time in between all that stuff. I started reading Life Of Pi and couldn't get into it. Is it worth reading?
-C
It took me about 3 weeks to read the first 200 pages and about 3 days to read the last 200. I thought it was thought provoking...
I read the Life of Pi and had a similar experience. It was kind of hard to get into, then I couldn't put it down. The ending was a bit shocking. I really liked the book though.
So... I haven't read the life of pi, but I hear the ending's shocking...!
See? My comments suck.
Do you think I can get my hands on HP in hawaii? I'm worried that I won't be able to and that I'll be spoiled beforehand. Woe is me, right? :)
Come on - they don't suck. I bet Hawaii will have the book :) But if they don't - don't worry, I'll let you know how it ends...
PS Megan - as you can see I've added you to my favs. I loved your blog and will definitely follow your Hawaiian adventures. HOWEVER - NO TATS! girlfriend - come on, don't jump on that band wagon. Pretty soon, the original people will be the ones with clean skin. AND WHAT and WHERE have you been drinking?!?!?! THis is your big sis talking after all... ;) Love ya. (seriously)
Life of Pi: L-O-V-E loved it. You all say it was shocking, like when we discover who shot JR, but really it was more enlightening, you know? To consider the ideas of what creates a "reality" and literary reality as well. All too often when we read books we cease to look for deeper symbolism. The author really forced you to consider these with his ending. And by doing so, made the book quite poetic.
I had no problems getting into it, but perhaps that was because I was in Samoa lazying about the beach and feeling very much at one with Pi.
I felt it was the first piece of great contemporary literature I have read.
One thing I really like about the ending is how much I am still thinking about it. I love how he sees God as He truly is which is a being that transcends religion - No matter which 'story' people choose to follow, the final reality is that God is there and is God. I really liked the beginning when he became a Hindu, a Christian, and a Muslim because he found beauty and truth in each - I am sure he would have become Jewish as well had he had the opportunity...
See how much fun our cyber book club is going to be? !?!?! Let's get that list going so we can get started!
Well, the next book I'm (finally) reading is Twilight - which PSM has already read so Daph, if you haven't, better get it. My YW are all reading it right now and one of them even is going so far as to go to B&N to get me a copy since they're on WAY back order at the library.
Yes, I have read Twilight...and L-O-V-E, loved that one as well. I have a copy on my bookshelf and will get Daph to take a peak. I suggest you don't read the follow up book, New Moon, because it is a total let down. But Twilight is totally worth it.
Sounds like perfect train reading to me. I'll get started right away! Nicole?
Did you start reading yet? It is SOOOOO good! I want my own vampire. :-)
You're finished - aren't you. Yeah, how would it be to have a chunk of time to devote to reading a fabulous book. Brad gets annoyed with my preoccupation as it is. I'm about 2/3 the way through (she is hearing Carlisle's story right now). I'll let you know when I finish...
Aw, thanks for visiting my blog. Hopefully it'll get more interesting than it already is. BUT I think you're cheating by commenting on my blog in your blog. How sneaky of you! :D And dude, I've got to be more careful of what I divulge from now on...
Yeah, I wasn't going to tell, but I finished it Sunday. I read all day long. . . couldn't put it down. It would have been good train reading if it had lasted till my train trip. :-)
Post a Comment