Saturday, November 10, 2007

Monday Monotony Buster....

Not to be left off of the bandwagon forever, I am adding my own 'top ten' day of the week. If I were choosing my top ten albums, at least half of the list would be albums from my number one band. So, I'm opting for my top ten bands instead.

10- The Kingston Trio: I am probably one of the only 'under 50s' that would include them on my list but I've spent too many road trips listening to them and seen them in concert more times than any band but one (see my #1). This is a definite nod to my dad...

9- The Beach Boys: Am I so geeky? Every road trip to Cal I ever took included many many hours of beach boys music...

8- This spot has been tough for me. I've switched it from Sarah McLachlan to Depeche Mode to Alanis Morisette to The Killers to Def Leperd to Queen - so take your pick.

7- Everclear: Have you ever seen 'Akeelah and the Bee'? There's a scene where Akeelah is taking the bus to the suburbs and she sees a carload of white girls jammin to gangster rap. She just smirks - it's a great little moment. That's probably how I look listening to Everclear - Whatever.

6- Aerosmith: I just love to turn them up loud.

5- Red Hot Chili Peppers: I was introduced to them when I started college and I'll forever link their tunes to my college years.

4- Madonna: No list would be complete without her. Road trips, beach parties, dances... no set list is complete without her. I also smile when I think of Nevada road trips with Daph and MB and Madonna :)

3- Abba: Sometime around 1980, I started listening to them because they were from Sweden and here I am 20+ years later still loving them...

2- Gwen Stefani: -With or without No Doubt- Turned me on to Ska music and I love her 'tude!

1- Dave Matthews Band: HANDS DOWN my number one. No one speaks to me the way the DMB does - and I've never seen a more amazing band live. "I can't believe that we would lie in our graves dreaming of things that we might have been..."


It's a long jam, but that's what they're known for... Check out the violin solo on this video - Boyd Tinsley is UNbelievable!!

I think next week will be my top ten songs NOT by anyone from my top ten bands... Did that even make sense? Happy week before Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Mary said...

I was in the middle of the Tuesday doldrums and that DMB clip gave me the pick up I needed! That is one of my favorite DMB songs (Josh's all time favorite). I have to give my top DMB spot to Crush; I Love it when they jam on that one! We'll all have to go and see them again the next time they're in town.

LB said...

Josh and I are on the same boat there with LIOG - I love Crush too. If I start naming songs I love, I could really go on and on and on...
We should definitely go again when they're in town (or not - we're still up for road trippin':)

Anonymous said...

Great to see you on the top ten bandwagon (even if I have only heard of half of your list). I am glad that we have Sina to start all these great ideas...

LB said...

I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with a weekly top 10 but it'll be fun to try :)

Daph said...

You're going to need to try harder. It's time to post something new. How about a review of Inkheart for Baloney? He's looking for a new series.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Hi you guys! Thanks for your recent comment on our blog. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Sounds like everyone is healthy and happy at det rode huse (don't know how to put a slash in that o; sorry).

Joe likes the Kingston Trio, too (but he's over 50).