
It wasn't fast. It wasn't pretty. But last Saturday, I completed my first (and most likely LAST) half-marathon. The Top of Utah (TOU) half marathon was a good experience in that I set a goal and accomplished it. I was amused at the really odd thoughts that ran through my head while running:
- Mr. Brightside by The Killers was one of the songs on my iPod and the line that really rang true was "I just can't run, it's killing me"
- Another song on said iPod was Tubthumping by Chumba Wumba and I have to say that CPR always pops into my head when I hear that song - plus she just ran her first half last month and was an inspiration to me (btw CPR - if you read this will you send me an invite to your blog? Daph has my email...)
- You know the tv show Alias? Wasn't it convenient that almost without fail, every place Sydney had to infiltrate was either next to or attached to some ultra hip, sexy dance club so she could ALWAYS go dressed up and wear blue wigs? (I told you the thoughts were really random)
- Note to self: Next time you train for a long race, give yourself more than 6 weeks to train
- 2nd note to self: Next time you train for a long race, try to avoid stomach flu the week before the race
- There was a group running in front of me that I began to refer to in my mind as the 'Tanning Salon Trio' - talk about some leather skin - the cool thing was that they were all skinnier than me and somehow I ran past them (sadly, many MANY people passed me)

Whittney is still my hero and beat me by almost 20 minutes.
The reward for running was a night at Bear Lake in our friend's 'cabin' - it's really a house about twice the size of ours and right on the lake. It was a great way to end the day - the kids got to ride on the boat, wave runners and play on the beach. I personally enjoyed the sitting on the beach and eating famous Bear Lake shakes. Thanks Landon and Jen!





11 comments:
What an awesome accomplishment! My measley goal is to run a 5k. I don't think that I'll ever make a half marathon. I just don't love running enough! Way to go!
By the way the DMB show was postponed, so we should totally go when they reschedule it.
Good Job! You will always be my hero!!
I have been checking each day to see if you had posted anything about your run:) I thought about you on Saturday. I am impressed that you did it and with only training 6 weeks! Weird that you think of me when you hear the Chumba Wumba song?? I still feel knocked down from my ½ marathon and sadly haven’t donned the running shoes since. I’m done with running-for a little while anyway. Great Job!! Also, I will send you an invite to my blog. Also, also, loved the random thoughts about Alias. Sidney also wore that Gwen Stefaniesque blonde wig with leather pants way too often. Also, also, also, I loved passing the skinnies even though plenty of people passed me too. sorry-very long comment.
You are seriously amazing! Good point on the blue hair thing . . . That was just a little too convenient. :)
CPR - I like long comments and I think of you when that song comes out because I still remember driving behind you and you holding your fingers out of the car to tell us the station to turn our radio to because that song was on - just one of those weird memories that will forever attach you to ChumbaWumba...
Liz, you are too cool for school. Congrats on the half-marathon...the thought of it makes me want to curl up in a ball.
Swann you're my hero. I'd puke first, then pass out, some hobo would have to carry me to the finish line and i would break a hip. XD
Yeah, I'm at work and can read your blog. You look hot during your first 1/2! The mommy tag is great - I love to hear what they think we do when they're not around!
Good job, Liz. I can't believe you did that after only training for 6 weeks, that's amazing. You look great in the photos.
Way to go, that is awesome!! I would love to be able to do something like that someday, but I hate running, so it could be a serious problem!
Did the thought "I can't believe I'm crazy enough to do this" ever enter your mind? You're awesome.
Post a Comment