Thursday, December 23, 2010

Happy Christmas Loved Ones!

I've been thinking about what a traditional time of year we are enjoying. Some of our family favorites have been passed down through several generations. When I was in college, I did a folklore paper about my Mormor (Swedish grandma). I learned a few interesting tidbits about our family traditions.

Santa Lucia

The Celebration of lights. My family didn't even celebrate this in Sweden because it was considered very Catholic and they were Lutheran. It was only when they immigrated to the U.S. that they celebrated as a way to be more connected with the Swedish community. It has been one of our most beloved traditions so I'm glad they got over their religious differences :)

Swedish Cardamom Bread

I always thought it was 'cardamoN' so that was a shock :) My grandma made this ridiculously delicious bread but no one could seem to duplicate it. There were recipes; but none seemed to create her delicious-ness. So my mom finally insisted on making it with her and actually writing down how she did it (she followed no recipe). This bread has to rise THREE times before it's baked! Are you kidding me?! I have people ask me why I only make this at Christmas...
Now you know.

An Accidental Tradition
About four years ago, for FHE, we took the kids downtown for ice skating, dinner, and lights. We haven't missed a year since and they fully expect to do this every Christmas season exactly the same way - down to eating dinner at the Olive Garden.



Seriously love this time of year. Love all of it - the neighbor gifts, the shopping, the old movies, the million family parties, the Christmas spirit in general.
Happy Happy Christmas Everyone!




5 comments:

Annette said...

I love Christmas traditions and you have some wonderful ones! Love you guys.

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

What a delightful post -- Merry, merry Christmas back at you.

Chris said...

Merry Christmas to you too, Liz! Holy crap that bread looks awesome! I am so glad you are passing down traditions like that to your kids, it really is priceless.

LB said...

Chris, I'll make you some next time you're in town :)

Anonymous said...

I am wiping the drool off my face as I was looking at your yummy bread.