Monday, October 22, 2007

Ode to Joe

I am a Yankees fan.
As far back as I can remember, I rooted for the Yanks.
I blame my dad. I credit my dad.
In high school, I was the only person in a class full of jocks that knew that Roger Maris, NOT Hank Aaron, broke Babe Ruth's single season home run record.
I know that right now it's far more fashionable to be a Red Sox fan. Whatever.
I visited Yankee Stadium for the first time in 1991 and, seriously, got teary eyed. They beat the White Sox that day and my then favorite player, Don Mattingly, drove in the winning run. I also saw Les Miserables for the first time that day so it seriously vies for one of the best days of my life. The 90s (especially the mid and late) were great times for Yankee fans. O'Neil, Jeter, Martinez, Williams, Rivera, to name just a few could do no wrong in my eyes. And, always, Torre. I honestly do not know how much difference a major league manager makes in an average game - or playoff series. It seems to me that, besides deciding when to bring in relief pitching (which can obviously have huge effects on a game) he has very little control over the outcome of the game. Sure, he can bring in a pinch hitter, he can signal a bunt, a hit-and-run, take a pitch - whatever. He has no control over whether or not his normally-great-in-the-clutch captain will hit into a double play instead of driving in a run or two. All I know is that Torre's record should speak for itself - 12 years: 12 playoff appearances. 6 World Series appearances. 4 World Series wins. Not too shabby. And then there are the un-quantifiable characteristics - his professionalism, the respect he receives from his players AND opponents - not to mention his fans in Utah. Class. It's what it comes down to and what I'll always think of Joe Torre. The man has class.
I will miss you, Joe.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz I forgive you for being a Yanks fan since you are a true blue one. :) I hate the Red Sox, they are all full of themselves now. Go Rockies!

LB said...

It definitely has become the trend to be a Sox fan. The thing that cracks me up is that they act like they're such underdogs against the big bad rich Yankees when their payroll is pretty close to the same...

Anonymous said...

Love the post! I remember your love for the Yankees. Not a big sports fan myself (other than watching Spencer play soccer). However we are traveling to colorado this weekend where husband and oldest son have tickets to the world series as well as the broncos/packers monday night game. I really should go, maybe I could gain some love for the game. I think I'll just hang out and read. cprolf

LB said...

You should TOTALLY go! It's my dream to attend a World Series game (although I'd choose to see one in the Bronx). THere's nothing like major league baseball in person. AND a football game? Talk about a guy's dream weekend! Have fun...