Thursday, January 18, 2007

should have previewed

I'm in a bad habit of editing other people's writing. When I was on my mission, my sister used to put disclaimers in her letters warning me not to edit them. I should be so critical of my own work. I was looking at the posting from earlier this morning and realized that the font changed about a quarter way into it. DUH

My favorite grammar joke:
A man is visiting Harvard University, looking for his daughter. He comes upon a Harvard student and asks, "Can you tell me where the engineering building is at?"
The student arrogantly replies, "Here at Harvard, we do not finish a sentence with a preposition."
The man replies, "Oh. Sorry. Can you please tell me where the engineering building is at, Jackass?"

4 comments:

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.

Nate and Sina said...

Great, you, Daphne and my husband the grammar police (wait, where is my verb is that last sentence!!). Maybe I should just give you all rights to my blog so you can edit whenever I hastily make mistakes. Love the blog, and can't wait to follow it!

Anonymous said...

Add me to the grammar police watch. I also gave Daphne disclaimers when I wrote to her on her mission. Maybe Daph can do mine and Liz Sina's. That way nobody will have to quit their day job.

Anonymous said...

Liz, clearly you are the only one who can understand what a curse it is to always notice editing errors. They think we're picking on them, but, alas, we are the ones who have it rough. {sigh}