Monday, July 23, 2007
The Deathly Hallows
So, it's Monday, July 23rd. After two days of seriously neglecting our home and family, Brad and I both finished the book last night. I feel like I inhaled it. I was just SO anxious to find out how it would end and DID NOT want to read the last chapter or page until I was there. Now I need to go back and read it again to relish in its magic. I would love to be infused with some of J.K.'s imagination - she's a master. I will reveal no secrets here but if anyone cares to comment, I'll respond there. I thought it was a great conclusion to the series and am really excited for others to finish it so we can discuss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





8 comments:
Yes, I finished it too and went on way too long about it on my blog...I loved the book but wasn't too keen on the epilogue. But overall, I think she handled the end as good as she possibly could have.
-Chris
I thought the epilogue was just J.K. having a little fun with naming kids and so forth. I really liked the way she ended it between Harry and Voldemort - I wondered because if it came to a straight on duel, I just didn't see that Harry knew enough to win but it went back to the prophecy that the Dark Lord's foe would have powers that he (TDL) wouldn't know. I LOVED MOLLY!! I also felt a little more closure with some of the characters when Harry used the resurrection stone. I could go on and on but I think I'll just check out your blog and see what you wrote.
I too am sad to see the Harry Potter series end. It was such fun while it lasted! Hopefully Rowling can come up with another great idea for a series. I don't think that she can ever beat Harry Potter, however. The one thing that I missed in this last book was the whole atmosphere of Hogwarts, and all of the interesting class details and students which were described in the other books. But I loved the ending!
We love your blog! You'll have to give us some good tips (like how to add music on - that's a great effect). Now that there's a link to our blog on your page we're feeling pressure to make ours a little more interesting :) We're beginners at this, but you are obviously not!
-Mary
I know what you mean Mary - I really thought something would take Harry back to Hogwarts for his seventh year to find the horcruxes there. I did like that he spent the night in Gryffindor Tower after defeating Voldemort.
I just finished the book last night and my end summary is that I can't believe she was capable of ending the series with such perfection. The last 200 pages were fabulous, and for me, gave me the taste of Hogwarts I had been missing. Molly fighting Bellatrix kicked arse! On that same note I feel like she really stepped up the magical powers of the Order, which I found to be a bit on the shabby side in previous books (it always seems obvious that TDL would beat them...but they showed their stuff this time).
I couldn't have been happier with Snape. He was a very complex character and she let us say goodbye to him in a way that paid him, what I felt were his proper dues. And although Dumbledore was dead, his presence was more pronounced in this book than in many others. We actually learned more about him through his death.
The epilogue could have been better...but I was still happy to know that 19 years later, TDL was still very dead.
Obviously, Nate hasn't finished reading the book...thus I had to get some of my immediate, unfiltered thought off to someone before I burst!!
Wow what a way to end the saga... I was so happy the way the duels happened and it took me about an hour to forgive JK for killing hedwig...
I'm on my second time through and I have to agree with Paris's summation. Fabulous in pretty much every way.
I just finished it this morning! I was surprised how upset I was when Hedwig died. I heard she was going to kill some main characters so I was prepared for that, but the owl was an unexpected shocker.
I knew Snape would come through in the end, although I never suspected how. Very nice twist.
I loved the whole thing! So often, the ending of such a beloved series is anticlimactic but JK far exceeded my expectations. She is amazing.
Post a Comment