Monday, February 5, 2007

Strep, Cornea Transplants, and other Odds and Ends

166 Days...
Today, BB underwent eye surgery. Not LASIK but an actual cornea transplant. I guess they do them as routinely as pulling wisdom teeth these days - but STILL - a transplant! We even have the video to prove it - I'm still questioning whether I'll ever watch said video... As far as we can tell, everything went well. He was well-sedated during the procedure and remembers almost nothing of it. They put a 'block' on his eye which means they put a needle behind it to deaden it (yuck). Then they cut out his cornea and inserted the donar cornea and then stitched him up. High on my list of things I never want in my life is STITCHES in my eye (or needles for that matter)!
Patient is home in bed with a patch and a stack of books on tape.
I, meanwhile, came home to a daughter with strep. Has this season just kicked everyone's proverbial rear ends or what?? I was figuring out the illnesses we've had and this is what I can come up with (BESIDES the transplant!):
Strep - X2
Flu - X4 at least
Fifths Disease
Croup
Sinus Infection X2
not to mention the head colds that are lingering!
I know this sounds quite whiny but what can I say - it's the first beautiful day in FOR freakin EVER and we're indoors with strep and recovering transplant patients!
So, forgive me, I'm sure I'll be in a better mood tomorrow - How long does it take for Amoxacillin to kick in???

4 comments:

Leslie Joe said...

I hear ya Liz. Its finally nice out and I am stuck inside with somekind of sinus infection with horrid dizzy spells myself! What a winter. Lets look at it on the positive side.... all the illness over now in the winter so we can really enjoy spring, summer and fall....well we can hope anyway

Anonymous said...

Have you started calling BB "Patch"yet? It sounds like a bad episode of 'Days'
I hope you are all well soon!

Daph said...

Yeah, you would have been so excited in high school to know that you would someday be married to "Patch!" It's a dream come true. How's your sign language, sweetness? :)

Joey/Denny/Emma said...

Glad to hear the surgery went well (and yes, "stitches in the eye" sounds just...wrong). Hope Anya feels better soon.