Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Back Injury

I've had a lot of people ask me about references they've seen on facebook to some strange back injury - so here it is:
*I'm not as flexible in my leg muscles as I should be (I know - they always tell you to stretch and I never do)
*I guess those muscles are pulling in opposite directions against some of the lower vertebrae
*In the spring I had a pretty hard collision in a soccer game. I came away with some back pain that I attributed to a pulled muscle but in reality it probably was a cracked vertebra
*At the zoo in June, I awkwardly picked up Diggity over a fence and felt something give in my back - at first the doctor thought it was a herniated disk. It was some of the worst pain I've ever experienced
*X-rays and MRI showed it was actually a fracture in said vertebra
*I am now in physical therapy, in very little pain and hopeful that it will not be a major problem in life - there is even the possibility of soccer (my mother cringes as I say this)
Lesson Learned: Stretch stretch stretch - and strengthen those core muscles!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Yes, but how are you feeling now? I never stretch enough (or exercise enough for that matter) and I'm not even sure where my "core" muscles are. :( Good to hear from you.

Heather said...

Hey Liz! So year I know all about this pain! I think I have the same not so flexible legs, super tight from biking and running. I have had my back freak out this last year, I don't think it is a cracked vertebrae but I hate it!!! SO does biking make it worse or better? I haven't had too much problem biking (cross our fingers). But man we need to hook up and go riding some day! By the way I love love love your cute red house.